Visual Arts Teachers Workshop Days
A professional learning workshop day for secondary visual arts, photomedia and design teachers to explore the elements that support high level student outcomes, reflected in ARTEXPRESS Bodies of Works.
Ron Pratt will be speaking and offering a Q & A.
Ron Pratt is currently the head teacher of Visual and Performing Arts at Wyndham Senior College. Previously, as the head of the Visual Arts HSC examinations, he contributed to the examination development and writing of the NSW curriculum and syllabus. He has run countless professional learning opportunities for teachers as part of NESA (New South Wales Education Standards) and VADEA (Visual Arts and Design Educators Association) and continues to support students and teachers gain access to in-depth, high quality Visual Arts education and training.
Leading local artist Michelle Hungerford will lead the art-making for the teacher workshops.
The workshop will provide;
- A deep understanding of the concepts and syllabus outcomes as applied to HSC Visual Arts Practical Issues including; review of Body of Work submission criteria as prescribed by NESA Examination Advice;
- Description of the ARTEXPRESS selection processes;
- Curatorial strategies as a means of constructing meaning within art world practice;
- The role of the agencies of the art world as described by the conceptual framework referencing practical bodies of work submissions;
- How artists explore the significance of exhibitions in developing their practice; and facilitate rigorous programing ideas to support teaching & learning strategies for developing coherent Bodies of Work for exhibition.
- Access to and engagement with high achieving Bodies of Work on current exhibition through the ARTEXPRESS Show in each gallery setting;
- Planning teaching activities that support an understanding of this year's ARTEXPRESS exhibited Bodies of Work;
- Exemplar teaching strategies applicable to practical processes and methods involved in developing a body of work for exhibition;
- Notes from presentations by artists and curators;
- References for professional reading, related teaching materials and further professional opportunities for Visual Arts teachers in NSW; and website materials produced by NESA, gallery educational staff and associated exhibition resources.
- Networking opportunities to support professional connections between teachers, gallery curators and art education staff is key to this event. Individual sessions are scheduled to meet the needs of teachers in rural and remote areas, providing a direct relationship with regional galleries, their educational programs and the ARTEXPRESS Exhibition Program.
2019 Session Dates:
Thursday 1 August 2019
Cost of teachers' workshop
Government school teachers: $160 inc. GST
Non-government school teachers: $320 inc. GS
To enrol in ARTEXPRESS workshops sessions:
For NSW Government Teachers click here to enrol.
For NSW Non-GOV Teachers click here to register with MyPL. Course code NR25233.
Please contact the ARTEXPRESS Project Officer on (02) 8512 1113 for assistance with enrolment in these courses if required.
Course Code: NR25233
As part of The Arts Unit’s support of the Department of Education Rural and Remote Education blueprint for action, we are excited to be able to offer a Participation Subsidy of $40 to teachers from rural and remote schools to attend the Visual Arts Teachers' Day.
Please note: If interest exceeds available funds, allocation of the Participation Subsidy will be prioritised based on remoteness.
Subsidies will be confirmed with acceptance notification.
The Department of Education is a NSW Education Standards Authority endorsed provider of professional development for the maintenance of accreditation at Professional Competence
Tamworth Regional Gallery
466 Peel Street Tamworth
01 August 2019
09:00 AM - 03:00 PM